Thursday, October 21, 2010

Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6 G ED vs. AF 50 mm 1:1.8 D ( Amateur Test )


I am really tired of switching lenses. So I went out today and bought this Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6 G ED from a nice lady photographer. After a few test shots, I am very impressed by its performance. So I decided to compare its image quality against my nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 D prime lens.

Although it's not very fair to compare a prime lens and a zoom lens, it's fun to see the results. Test images were shoot at different ISOs with the same fixed manual settings on my D200. Since I am an amateur, I forgot my prime lens wasn't DX format, and shot with 18-200mm also at 50mm. This made the image frame sizes not match exactly :( But it's good enough for an amateur.

Here are the results: 50mm definitely has much better bokeh ( isn't shown in the comparison image ), but the sharpness and details from 18-200 is as good as the prime lens. Of course in this comparison, I set the aperture of both lenses to 1:5, otherwise, the prime lens will have better image result. In general, I am very happy that I bought this lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment