Tuesday, May 22, 2007

First week impression about Greater Vancouver!

Since May 11th, 2007, I have been in Greater Vancouver for one week. The change from Europe to North America isn't that big and I got used to the life pretty soon. However, there is still something remarkable :D

Last Day in Germany: I had been hanging around for 2 hours at Frankfurt international airport before I get checked in. What annoyed me was the stupid questions that the clerk asked for securities :( BUT, I did get some compensation. After the check in, I was told that my seat is upgraded to business class, which far more comfortable than the economic ones. I did enjoy it and it was the first time in my life that I felt 10 hours flight is too short :D

Arrived in Vancouver: There is nothing new to me at the airport except the immigration office. I was told to see a immigration officer in order to grant my work permit. This task was easy and pleasant, but it took me 1.5 hours to wait in the queue. Plus the luggage claim, it took me almost 3 hours to get out of the airport. But the nightmare was not finished. As planned, I would pick up the car, which was rented by my company. But my credit card could not pass the machine and there is no other way around this. Finally I could only take the Cab to the hotel and ended the whole tiring day with a fast dinner at McDonald. Oh, forgot to say that I did successfully pick up my new cell phone, which I have online reserved one day before my flight in Germany, on my way. That impressed the cab driver a lot, and I told him that's called planning, which I have learned in Germany. :D

The following days in Greater Vancouver: In the next day, I had a very rich breakfast and then Bill a very nice relocation assistant came and picked me up for the settlement orientation. It was quite pleasure to work with him and we finished all the important settlement, like bank, social insurance number, drive license, jut in the morning. It was a great success :D Besides work, there was nothing special I did in the following days. Although living without a car in north America is hard, I haven't expected too much and everything ran smooth enough for my first week. BTW, I finally got the rental car, which is a Dodge Caliber, and here is a photo I found in the internet as a reference. Then the life became easier.

A Dodge Caliber from National Car Rental :D

Life Style in Canada: The culture here is similar to US. People keep looking forward to any new stuffs. Compare to the culture in Europe, you can easily feel their strong creative passion to entertain their life rather than to enjoy what they used to have. Anyway, it's just different living style. I meant no criticisms. One more happy thing I found here is shopping. Typical huge american shopping mall offers everything you need. And because of its multi-culture, I can buy most of the chinese cooking materials by without going to special "Asia-Markt". The drawback is people can hardly taste a pure culture here.

Misc: There are still many things to say. However, I decide to left it for later stories. What I want to mention at the end of this story is the cities in Greater Vancouver indeed have marvelous views. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment